Saturday 24 December 2011

Twas the night before Christmas...

It's Christmas eve tonight and I will be going to bed soon so that I can wake up early for tomorrow's Christmas service in the morning. My left ear is killing me due to an ear infection from not drying it properly after a shower before I go to bed.

This year will be a quiet Christmas with the passing of my grandfather. My aunts have also moved to Australia so it will just be us and my grandmother who lives in a nursing home as she requires constant attention and is suffering from dementia.

There will be no lavish Christmas meals of roast turkey and lamb. We did not even play any Christmas carols. The only visual signs of Christmas at home are the wreath hung on my front door and the Christmas tree I set up and dressed it with my favourite little ornaments complete with running LED lights.

It's been about a week since my grandfather passed away. Part of me would like to move on with life while part of me is still holding on to dear memories of old. At times in the still of the night when I'm all alone in bed, I shed a tear or two thinking of the happy moments I shared with my late grandfather. This is actually the first time I have had to deal with the death of someone dear to me.

Only time will heal the sorrows that I now bear...

No comments:

Post a Comment