Wednesday 14 December 2011

Dear Grandpa,

Death. Some view it as an end, while others view it as just the beginning. As I write today's post, my maternal grandfather is lying unconscious in the Coronary Care Unit (CCU) of the hospital with his closest kin around him. He has been on life support since last Thursday after suffering a heart attack. But today the doctors have confirmed that his brain is indeed dead. The pastor is there to perform the final prayers and rites. Only time will tell when his heart gives its final beat.

Dear Grandpa,

You have lived a long life. I remember how proud you looked in the picture of you carrying your first newborn grandson. I remember very well when you came to visit my home in Sydney and the BMX bike you bought for me. I remember you lifting me up in your arms when I was chased by a dog one early morning at the park. I remember when you took me visiting around Malaysia when I came back during winter break. You took me to museums and taught me that the national flower of Malaysia is the hibiscus. When my family returned to Malaysia for good, you used to send me to school and pick me up. Your old red Ford Laser stood out like a sore thumb in a school of wealthy kids with luxury vehicles but that didn't matter to me.

Dear Grandpa,

I always adored your twin wooden elephant sculptures in your cabinet. They were the best playthings when all my toys were at sea on a shipping vessel en route to Malaysia. I remember you took me swimming during the school holidays. For an old man, you could still swim well and liked to pull me underwater. I remember the first time you exposed me to Indian food at a neighbour's open house. "Puttu mayam" looked very much like vermicelli with brown sugar and coconut. I could never understand your love for mutton curry. The smell used to put me off. I remember when I stayed overnight at your place and you weren't keen on me playing with my SEGA GameGear. I remember walking to Hankyu Jaya with you. I remember the set of world flags you gave to me and I set it on display on top of the shoe cabinet. When I first got my brand new red car, I remember driving you to Lucky Garden to run some errands and you did not want to fasten your seatbelt so I had to drive slower. You were quite a stubborn old man.

Dear Grandpa,

I am sure you do not want to see me weeping at your departure. If I were dead, I would want the same and not see anybody crying over my dead body. For the body is useless without a soul, and your soul would have gone to a better place. To a happy place where there is no more suffering. To be reunited with your late wife and son. Though you may not be with us any more, we will always remember you in our hearts. Go in peace, Grandpa.

Lots of love,

From Your Grandson,
Jaded AL.

No comments:

Post a Comment