Tuesday 5 March 2013

The next ordeal

In September last year, I rather reluctantly accepted my current job. To make life more bearable, I told myself I'll just give it a go for a couple of months since the money was good. From one month, it became three months. Then four, five and now I'm in my sixth month, and possibly extending it to my seventh. This is not to say that I am loving every moment of it here; in fact, I was so ready to call it quits in my fourth month after going through eleven days of working round the clock for the year end accounting close. I have been living each month as it comes as if it's my final month at work. When there are reports due and extemely tight deadlines to meet, the only way to meet work demands is to work overtime without any additional compensation for the extra hours apart from a meal allowance. Staying back past twelve o' clock midnight is not uncommon at my current workplace. Apart from the comfortable pay cheque, the thought of throwing in the towel and leaving this wretched work culture behind me keeps me going each day. I have been discussing my impending resignation with my immediate supervisor since the start of the year. I extended it from February to March. Naturally, the company wishes that I will stay longer. Given the never-ending nature of work and the peak starting next week and lasting for approximately one month, I've decided to finish off what I started here. I will need a tremendous amount of support to get me through this next ordeal...

No comments:

Post a Comment